What do you need to start work in Rail?

Here’s how to make the process simple

You’ve just found out that you got a job in rail. Congratulations!

You’re about to begin what can be a long and diverse career in an industry that employs thousands of Australians and contributes millions of dollars to the economy.

But once your excitement dies down a little, you realise there’s so much you need to organise before you can front up to a rail site on your first day.

The easy checklist to make sure you’re ready to start work in the Rail Industry:

RIW or RSW Card

  1. When you turn up to a worksite in the rail network in Australia, you will be expected to already have (at a minimum) your RIW or RSW Card.
  2. An RIW /RSW Card is an identification card with a photograph and a unique number used by the rail industry to record the training that you have completed in the rail industry. The RIW/RSW card information is stored in an online database, uploaded by your employer/company.
  3. The RIW/RSW Card provides recognition that a person is qualified to work on and around a rail corridor.
  4. This system also benefits workers who move between jobs, employers and projects. An RIW/RSW card isn’t a requirement for all rail networks, however if an employer or project includes any of the rail corridors within the participating rail networks, the RIW/RSW Card is mandatory.
  5. To complete the application for an RIW/RSW Card, you will need to meet the requirements, which make up the rest of your checklist below.

An SARC Certificate

The SARC Certificate is evidence that you have successfully completed training and assessment for the unit of competency: TLIF2080 Safely access the rail corridor.

Training in this unit varies from rail provider to rail provider, so you need to check you’re enrolling in the course that is suitable for where you will be working.

The below list are examples of the different terms used to describe the SARC unit for the various rail network operators:

SX52 (formerly RSW or RISI) in NSW:
  • Transport for New South Wales,
  • Sydney Trains,
  • ARTC and
  • CRN.
TTSA in Victoria:
  • Metro Trains Melbourne and
  • V/Line.
QR3.2 in Queensland:
  • Queensland Rail
NTSA in South Australia:
  • ARTC network.

You can complete TLIF0020 Safely Access the Rail Corridor training with us for NSW and Qld. We run courses every week in NSW and Qld or you can complete the Aurizon SARC online now.

A Construction Induction Card

Often called a White Card, the Construction Induction Card is evidence that you have completed training in the unit of competency: CPCCWHS1001 Prepare to work safely in the construction industry.

GoTrain will be offering courses in this unit from April 2022, however until then, you can find a list of training providers if you click here.

A valid Medical

A medical assessment is needed to work in the rail industry and they vary depending on the job role you will be doing. There are three categories of medical assessment: 1 to 3.

Generally, level 3 is for Rail Labourers and level 1 is for those who want to work in Safeworking. We recommend completing your medical assessment before you invest in any of the training courses – just in case you fail the medical, however this is completely up to you.

You can find a list of approved doctors to get your Medical on the RIW website, by clicking here.

An employer or an ABN

The RIW/RSW Programs only issue cards to companies and contractors who hold an ABN. Your employer will order your RIW/RSW card on your behalf and they will become your primary employer in the RIW/RSW system.

If you have your own ABN, you can register as a business with RIW/RSW and then set up a profile for yourself as an employee.

If you don’t have an ABN and you need your RIW/RSW before you can start work with a new employer, you can use an RIW/RSW service, like GoRail, who will register you under their business then transfer you to your new employer when you start work.

To find out more GoRail’s RIW/RSW services, click here.