Course Details for Rail Industry Safety Induction (RISI) NSW ONLY
This is a Transport for NSW Approved Course
Please Note: you require a Cat 1,2 or 3 Medical before you start the training.
These examinations can only be performed by a Transport for NSW approved medical practitioner.
This page contains all of the details you need for completing and receiving your Rail Industry Safety Induction Card.
IMPORTANT: Please click here to read about important changes to the RISI program.
PAYMENT REQUIRED PRIOR TO TRAINING
Central Coast (Tuggerah), Sydney (Padstow),Victoria (Brooklyn),Brisbane (Brendale), Onsite – at your location
How Long? – Up to 8 Hours
Cost – $245 – Fees must be paid in advance of Training.
Course Outcomes –
- Nationally accredited Statement of Attainment certificate for the unit: TLIF2080 Safely access the rail corridor. You can use this unit either for academic or employment purposes.
Anyone required to perform work in the Transport for NSW rail corridors. This means basically between Sydney, Nowra, Lithgow and Broadmeadow. Also applies to John Holland CRN and ARTC
Are there any pre-requisites required? – Yes.
- You must be able to speak and understand English. You will need to pass a simple Language, Literacy and Numeracy test prior to commencement of the RISI training.
- You must have completed a Transport for NSW Category 1, 2 or 3 Medical.
The Rail Safety Worker Induction (RSW or RISI) Training is a mandatory requirement for all contractors who perform work in the Transport for NSW rail corridors. This means basically between Sydney, Nowra, Lithgow and Broadmeadow.
RISI Card is also recognised by Australian Rail Track Corporation (ARTC) and John Holland Country Rail Network (JHCRN) and will allow you to safely access the rail corridor throughout NSW in the areas managed by these organisations.
When must I do the training if I wish to access the Transport for NSW corridor?
You must be in possession of a current RISI card before entering Transport for NSW areas of operation. Do not expect to do the training on one day and access the Transport for NSW rail corridor the next day. It can take 1 month to receive this card. You must allow this time in advance of your need to access the rail corridor.
What is a Category 1, 2 or 3 Medical?
We only require a Category 3 medical, but will accept Category 1 or 2 medicals as well.
Copies of the Category 1, 2 & 3 medical forms are available here.
Category 1 & 2 Health Assessment
These medicals are usually required by Train drivers Protection officers and Safe working staff (check with your employer/contractor as to which category you require)
Category 3 Health Assessment
Category 3 health assessment includes:
- Drug & Alcohol
Authorised Doctors – Who Can Provide The Medical?
The health assessment must be completed by a Transport for NSW approved doctor/health care centre. Click here to download a list of Approved Health Providers.
How Much Is The Medical? – This is up to the individual doctor’s clinic.
What Do I Do With The Medical? – Scan and Email it to us at least 2 business days before your training date to email@example.com , and bring the original with you on your training date.
- Go Train Enrolment Form
This form allows us to collect your personal details, what training venue and date you will be attending.
YOU ARE REQUIRED TO HAVE A CURRENT CATEGORY 1,2 or 3 MEDICAL CERTIFICATE TO REGISTER FOR YOUR RIW CARD.
- Obtain a ‘Fit for Duty’ minimum Category 3 medical certificate
- Book and purchase your course date and location by clicking the Buy Now buttons on this website
- Attend your class and complete the RISI enrolment Form. We also require you to undertake an LLN Test before providing nationally recognised training.
PAYMENT IN FULL IS REQUIRED IN ADVANCE FOR ALL COURSE REGISTRATIONS, unless by prior arrangement. We do not as a rule accept any payments on the day of training.
For group bookings please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 02 4355 4595.
- Signed original Enrolment Form
- Photo ID
- Wear appropriate clothing excluding open shoes and shorts.
If you do not have all of the above items on your possession you will not be permitted to enter the class under any circumstances.
On the date of Training you should aim to arrive at least 15 minutes prior to your start time.
If you are more than 30 minutes late for your class you will not be allowed to participate – you will in these cases be re-booked into the next available class.
The Transport for NSW Rail Safety Worker Card (RISI) will only be issued on the proviso that the participant has obtained a Category 1, 2 or 3 Medical examination. These examinations can only be performed by a Transport for NSW approved medical practitioner.
Photo ID must be provided on the training day – if candidates do not have correct identification they will not be allowed to complete the training. Your trainer will verify the originals and endorse the copies which are important for our records.
- The RSW course is a once-off course; however renewal of the certificate is required at intervals based on medical examinations. Transport for NSW will advise you when you need a renewal.
- A fee is charged for the renewal of certificates, replacement of Statements of Attainment and replacement of Certificates.
- It is a Transport for NSW requirement that only Transport for NSW issued Certificates can be used within the Transport for NSW track environment.
- At the completion of training, GoTrain Industry Pty Ltd will process all documentation and submit it to Transport for NSW on your behalf..
We will come to your site as long as you have a training room where all students can sit comfortably and be trained in a quiet environment.
For smaller groups or individuals:
You should enrol in one of our http://bookings.gotrainlms.com.au/rail-training-calendar/
Regional NSW Transport for NSW Contractors
GoTrain Industry Pty Ltd is pleased to offer this training in country NSW. Please contact our office to discuss having the RISI training provided at your location.
Victorian and South Australian Contractors to Transport for NSW
RISI training is now conveniently provided in Melbourne and easily accessible for Transport for NSW contractors from Victoria and South Australia. Contact our Tuggerah office to arrange your training session at a time that suits you.
You will receive a learner’s workbook which will provide Transport for NSW RISI information covering:
- The Rail Corridor
- Comply with Occupational Health and Safety
- Describe basic Track Terminology
- Be responsible for own safety when working on or about the line
- Move to a safe place in sufficient time on approach of a train
- Common track-side signage
- Audible track warning devices
- Track configurations & Points
- Warning lights & Hand signals
- Slips, Trips & Falls
- Fatigue, Drugs & Alcohol
- Electrical safety
The training is conducted in a classroom. There is also a written and practical assessment at the completion of training. Overall it only takes approximately 6-7 hours to complete this training and assessment.
If you need re-assessment or re – training please contact us directly.
Replacement of a Statement of Attainment certificate
If you require a re-print of your Statement of Attainment after the originals have been issued, there will be an administration fee of $45 GST Inclusive for the replacement of the SOA.